Go Green! Go Glen!
Reduce. Reuse. Recycle...Think globally, act locally. For some these are tag lines but for us at the Glen, they are a lifestyle-a conscious decision we have made to help make the world a better place. As part of our ongoing commitment to the environment, we are doing what we can to minimize our carbon pawprint by following these simple do's and don'ts.
What we do:
- Reduce-By using LED lighting and Energy Star-rated appliances, we reduce our energy consumption. By being computerized, we save trees by minimizing our use of paper. You can help by requesting your receipt and other documents be emailed to you instead of being printed.
- Reuse-We participate in programs that allow us to return styrofoam and cardboard shipping containers to our suppliers so they can be reused.
- Recycle-Plastic bags, cardboard boxes, metal cans, paper...if it has the universal recycle symbol on it, it gets recycled.
- Compost-Did you know composting grass clippings with dog waste make great fertilizer for plants? We did!
What we don't do:
- Use herbicides, pesticides or any 'cides. Not only do these chemicals harm the environment, they can also cause cancer in people and pets! Instead, we deal with the occasional weed and bug with shovel and shoe and use disinfectants that are safe, effective and degrade harmlessly into water and oxygen within minutes of their use.
- Allow grass clippings and other debris to enter storm drains where they can contaminate the sensitive French Creek and Chesapeake Bay watersheds.
Have an idea about how we can be more eco-friendly? Call or email us. We'd love to hear from you!